Creativity • Collaboration • Community
About AAF PHX
AAF Phoenix has united leaders of the advertising industry since 1937. Fast forward to today, our advertising landscape is evolving, and so are we. AAF Phoenix dedicates itself to elevating the profile of Phoenix as a preferred market for top-tier talent and kick-ass work. As a club, our members are deeply involved in advertising standards programs, advertising education, government relations, college educational programs, the ADDY Gala Awards, and many other activities geared toward the enhancement of the ad industry in and around Phoenix. We also host networking events and of course, the occasional over-the-top theme party. Might be time to dust off that furry costume soon!
As people, we are coffee fiends, self-proclaimed comedians, dog (and cat!) lovers and last but not least, fierce advocates of every individual in the Phoenix ad community. We’re a proud member of the American Advertising Federation (AAF). Headquartered in Washington, DC, the AAF is the “Unifying Voice for Advertising,” with 140+ local clubs across the U.S. representing over 35,000 advertising professionals, connecting and leading the industry. AAF also helps more than 4,000 student members kickstart their careers within a 200+ college chapter network with an array of student programs.
AAF? WTF is that exactly?
Established in 1905, the American Advertising Federation (AAF) is the only organization that includes members across all disciplines and career levels in advertising and is the host of the annual American Advertising Awards (The ADDYs), the world’s largest advertising competition. Whether you’re new to the fast-paced world of advertising or a seasoned professional, the AAF is for you. The AAF is here to help you advance your career, build your connections and celebrate this ever-changing, amazing industry we work in.
Board of Directors
Who are all these cool people?
A board for people who think most boards sound boring. A board filled with creative people? This oughta be interesting. We want you. Or one of your friends. We’re desperate flexible.
Do you like advertising? Do you like snacks? Well, you’re in luck. Our board meets every month, creating events and activities to help the Phoenix ad community thrive. And we don’t do it on an empty stomach—we provide snacks and beverages to keep the ideas flowing. Join us, and we’ll save you a seat—and a plate. And tell your friends too!
Before applying, please read the FAQ items for the board that you want to join.
Appointment of the board will be held at the Annual Meeting, which is the first regular meeting in July.
- We would like to advise on board member expectations as AAF PHX is a “working” board and a board member must be a member of the club in good standing with a current membership.
- We hold monthly board meetings every third Wednesday.
- A board member must attend these meetings either in person or via the phone.
- We would like our board members to be present at our events, attending/volunteering at least 5 a year.
- A board member is required to chair or lead on one event or committee.
- Upon board approval, there is a three-month probationary period. Your position will become under review if you miss more than three board meetings and do not regularly attend events.
- The Nominating Committee will prepare a slate of candidates to fill open positions consisting of qualified and willing Members who are current in their financial obligation to the AAF at the start of the fiscal year when each assumes their elected office.
- The Committee shall report the final slate to the Board of Directors in May for acceptance via electronic communication. This is the opportunity for an active board director to contest the slate.
- If there is a conflict the Executive Director will notify the Nominating Committee and the committee will revisit that board position and revise the slate if there is a quorum.
- Publication of this slate shall be made to the general Membership in June, where the membership has 14 days to approve or contest the slate of directors. If no response from the membership is received the slate will be accepted as presented.
Volunteer your time and talent by joining one of the many AAF Phoenix committees. From event planning to member recruitment to education, there is a committee to fit your passion and experience.
Contact us about any one of the committees listed below and we will put you in contact with the Committee Chair.
The ADDY® Awards is the world’s largest advertising competition. They represent the true spirit of creative excellence by recognizing all forms of advertising from media of all types, creative by all sizes, and entrants of all levels from anywhere in the world. This committee oversees the competition and the awards event.
The goal of this important committee is to:
1) Sustain and improve the future of advertising and marketing in the Phoenix area;
2) Develop activities that expand students’ knowledge and confidence about a career in advertising;
3) Develop and maintain ideas that continue the education of the advertising and business professionals within the community.
The three key responsibilities of this committee are to recruit, retain and engage members.
The role of this committee is to provide Professional Development opportunities for the Phoenix community, with monthly programs.
Calling all rainmakers: Whether you’re looking for a great sponsorship opportunity or a fulfilling volunteer gig, we’ve got a number of ways (as in dollars) you can help. Either by sponsoring events — or helping to raise money to fund our events. Underwriting events help us keep the thrills high and the costs low. Find out more at email@example.com.
Monitoring local, state and federal legislation on all matters affecting the advertising business or interest to the profession
Establishing relationships with local and state legislators, ideally before an issue arises
Ensuring that the club has a grassroots notification system which can be mobilized quickly and efficiently should any legislative problem arise
Building a sense of constant legislative awareness among our members by utilizing all communication channels
Participating in District 12 conference calls; monitor and share communications from AAF National
BECOME A VOLUNTEER
Not ready for a full-on board commitment? No worries. We welcome all who want to help out, whether you’re supporting a committee through the year or pitching in for a single event.